Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What Would You Say

We were sitting in church yesterday waiting for a baptism to start when the conversation turned to the tragic shootings in the Omaha mall. As I pondered these unfortunate events a thought came to mind that I then presented to those sitting around me.


Imagine for a minute that you were one of the victims of the shooting. You have just died and your spirit has left your body. The veil has been removed from your mind and you can now comprehend things eternal. Around you are the spirits of the other victims and then, within a few seconds the shooter has taken his own life and his spirit has left his body.


I then asked this question, what do you say to him? As I thought about this question I began wondering what could have happened to this person to make him feel so alone and neglected. I asked why God would permit one of His children to have lost all hope. As I thought about these questions my mind turned to the Savior. I then realized what I would say to the shooter if I was one of his victims. I would tell him not to worry and that everything would be o.k. I would testify that he has a Savior who loves him and who would do everything within His power to provide him with those feelings of hope that had eluded him in mortality.


This experience left me with a renewed sense of gratitude to my Heavenly Father for the support system that he has provided for me in my life. A support system I often taken for granted, which includes wonderful and supportive friends and family. I want to thank those people who have helped me find my purpose in life. Who have provided me with something to be proud of. And most importantly, who have taken the time to let me know that I am not alone.

No comments: