Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Alcohol

Although I realize that when it comes to alcohol my wife is the expert, I still opted to write today's post. As a prosecutor I know the criminal consequences that can come with alcohol. I have seen firsthand what happens when youth decide to experiment with alcohol.


A little over a year ago a youth in Lexington decided to drink and drive. He had several other youth in his vehicle among which were his two best friends. These were best friends that he had since childhood. He was going in excess of 50 miles-per-hour and lost control. His vehicle flipped over on the front lawn of the High School and caught on fire. His two best friends were killed.


A couple of weeks ago another youth in Lexington decided to drink some beer and take his father's car out for a joy ride. He was driving through the residential streets by my home in excess of 55 miles-per-hour. He tried to turn left, lost control and jumped up and over the curb and sidewalk. He was unable to stop his vehicle and traveled through my next door neighbor's front yard and into their living room. My children have played in that front yard on several occasions. We are grateful that his actions did not end with any casualties.


However, today at the monthly Lexington Drug and Alcohol Council meeting I learned that alcohol can also have intellectual consequences. Two neuropsychologists did research at Duke and the University of California, San Diego on the effect of alcohol on adolescents. They found that as little as one beer has impairing effects on the brain processes involved with our critical thinking abilities. Furthermore, it is possible that these impairing effects are irreversible.


Knowing what a permanent impact alcohol can have scares me and it bothers me what a prominence it has with youth today. It leaves me wondering what I can do to ensure that my children do not suffer these consequences.

No comments: