Monday, December 3, 2007

The Importance of a Name

So, we have still not decided on a name for the new baby. I have promised Ericka that we would give this child a traditional Hispanic name. I did this for five reasons. First, as you all know Ericka is Mexican, not just Mexican por dicho, but was born and raised in Mexico. Justifiably Mexico is an important part of her life. Second, as of yet her children have been given the following names: Carl, Emma, and Joseph; clearly there is nothing Latin about those names. Third, none of her children even remotely appear to be Hispanic. Fourth, her children prefer to speak English. Fifth, it is nearly impossible to truly share the Mexican culture she came to love while growing up in Puebla. Thus, I promised her we would choose a traditional name for our fourth, and hopefully not, but possibly last child.

Choosing a Latino name has not been easy for us, primarily because all of the names we picked out where feminine; we were certain we were having a girl. The only name we could decide upon was Miguel Santiago, but neither of us are really excited about it. Then Ericka found a web page with names in the indigenous languages of Mexico. She was so excited about it and we decided to choose a name off of the list. We have narrowed our choices down, but would like some suggestions. Here are the following names along with their meanings in English.
  1. Arhirani--To Direct
  2. Irepani--The Founder
  3. Taiyari--Our Heart
  4. Chanteco--Man of the House
  5. Tapuyeri--Vigilant from the West
  6. Rayénare--Sun
  7. Papekori--Eagle
  8. Arihuá--Soul
  9. Kakayari--Ancestors
  10. Yaitowi--Creator of Man
We believe that naming children is important. We have tried to give names to our children that would provide them with a sense of purpose in life. Thus, we named Carl after my paternal grandfather, a man who perfectly resembled everything that we find good and holy in life. We named Emma Ruth after the Prophet Joseph's wife and after my paternal grandmother, two wonderful women. We named Joseph after the Prophet Joseph, next to the Savior the most important man to have lived. Thus we hope that by giving this child a indigenous name he will always carry with him Ericka's Lamanite heritage. A heritage that he should be proud of. Tell us what you think.

5 comments:

Destinee said...

My vote is for 3 or 9. I just don't know how to spell them, let alone pronounce them. I guess I will just call him CutieBug07... HA HA

Brooke said...

Hey Cuz! This is Brooke! Your mom gave me your blog address and she told me that I should vote on a name for your new baby. Congratulations by-the-way!I wanted to vote for Taiyari because I love that it means "our heart". The blog looks great! I'll have to add you to my blogging list so I can check it out frequently.

Anonymous said...

I like Taiyari. It's cool, one of the easiest to pronounce, it doesn't lend itself to ridicule as easily, and is easily shortened for nicknames.

Do you guys mind if we link to your blog on ours? And I hope you don't mind us perusing, I saw the site on Rammell's facebook page. Very good blog.

Rammells said...

Ok, I am confused. I thought you wanted a Lamanite name, which is limited to one of the following: Aaron, Abish, Amalickaiah (a convert to Lamandome), Anti-Nephi-Lehi, Antiomno, Coriantumr, Laman, Lamoni, Lehonti, Tubaloth, Zerahemnah.

Yet, you only list traditional Mexican names. But I guess if I have to pick from your list, I would vote for Irepani. If you go with the *real) Lamanite list I vote for Tubaloth.

Anonymous said...

I am so old fashion this is the first time I have even heard of "blog". I guess I am just getting old and not as "COOL" as you know I use to be. I think your new baby is adorable. I just hope I can get as lucky as your Mom before they put me in a rest home. HaHa Miss and love you guys tons! I love the name you decided on.