Wednesday, October 8, 2008

You have your hands full!!

Over the last three days I have been visiting the doctor's office rather frequently, either for myself or for the kids. With doctor visits come visits to Wal-Mart to pick up prescriptions. Trips to Wal-Mart require I take all my kids, which guarantees two things. First, there will be some sort of melt down from at least one of them but, that is another story. Second, at least one person will say to me, "you have your hands full" and at least one other will say, "todos son suyos?" No matter how hard I try to convince them otherwise Latinos refuse to belive that my blonde hair blue/green eye children are mine, I thank my Heavenly Father every day that he was gracious enough to bless me with at least one Mexican looking child. Back to the "you have your hands full comment," it started to get on my nerves. I have been trying lately to come up with a polite response. I guess now-a-days it is unusual to see a mom with four kids under the age of 6. If anyone has any polite responses I am all ears. However, all this thinking has brought to me the realization that yes, I do have my hands full.

Full of dirty diapers,
Full of dirty laundry,
Full of dirty dishes,
Full of dirty cups, (they always get dirty immediatley after the dishes are clean),
Full of preschool and kindergarten papers (which I feel guilty throwing away),
Full of formula,
Full of baby food,
Full of wipes,
Full of various baby fluids but mostly,
Full of LOVE!

I know I am guilty of getting upset too much and I lose my patience more than I like which ends up causing me to yell more than I should. All of which leave me wondering why I am not a better mom. But in the end, I really feel my hands are full:

Full of gratitude to our Father-in-Heaven,
Full of love,
Full of prayer,
Full of hope.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure if my other comment went through or not because my computer crashed. But I just wanted to say that I get the same thing all the time, and feel the same way. People always tell me that "You must be SO busy!" and "you've got your hands full" I always tell them that it's better than being empty handed.

Rammells said...

Ericka, you are a wonderful mom!!
And, congrats on the baby news! Diana

Ericka said...

Thanks Diana and Becca I appreciate the comments.