Friday, September 19, 2008

AB 2567

AB 2567 was introduced in the California Legislature on February 22, 2008. Since that time it has passed both the California Assembly and Senate. It is currently waiting for Governor Schwarzenegger's signature. AB 2567 has been officially designated as Harvey Milk Day. According to the text of the Bill AB 2567 would

"require the Governor to proclaim May 22 of each year as Harvey Milk Day, and would designate that date as having special significance in public schools and educational institutions and encourage those entities to conduct suitable commemorative exercises on that date."

Harvey Milk was
"the first openly gay person to be elected to public office in a major city, serving on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors from 1977-1978. He was assassinated in 1978 at San Francisco's City Hall by a political rival. Perhaps more than any other modern figure, Harvey Milk's life and political career embody the rise of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) civil rights movement in California, across the nation, and throughout the world."

In a nutshell AB 2567 encourages, but does not require, public schools to conduct commemorative exercises each year on May 22nd. According to Equality California the hope is that public schools would teach children about the

"social contributions that Harvey Milk made to our nation as a civil rights leader. It would also allow schools to conduct activities that would foster respect for all, and educate students about an important figure who is often omitted from history lessons."

I firmly believe in treating gays and lesbians as equals. I do not believe that just because an individual chooses a lifestyle that I happen to disagree with that I should treat them differently. After all, God loves them just as much as he loves me, so why should I love them any less. With that belief, I applaud Mr. Milk’s efforts in championing equal treatment of those with different lifestyles. However, I also firmly believe that God does not condone nor honor homosexual relationships. I believe homosexuality to be a sin. I do not applaud Mr. Milk’s lifestyle choices.

Thus creating my dilemma. I have no problem with a public school teaching children equal treatment for all, but I have a huge problem with the public school teaching children to accept and possibly encourage homosexuality. I do not believe a public school can commemorate Mr. Milk’s achievements in equality without also commemorating his homosexuality. Unfortunately, it appears to me that this Bill is meant to accomplish the latter more than it is the former. So what do you guys think, is AB 2567 a good idea? As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is it wrong to applaud Mr. Milk’s efforts towards equality. How do we teach our children to respect and love gays and lesbians without also teaching them to accept homosexuality?

5 comments:

allie said...

Hey Carl, great post! The way I look at it is that I would much rather teach my children to love, respect, and be non judgemental to others than to discount a person because of their sexuality. I would support them learning about Harvey Milk Day. I don't see that supporting him or celebrating his accomplishments would glamorize being gay, or make a child think "hey, that would be a great idea to be gay!" Who is to say that my children won't struggle with this very issue, and if they did, would I want them to be treated as a lesser person? This issue makes me so angry, especially within the church, because there are so many who claim to be Christlike members yet they have so much hatered towards people who are gay.

Carl Anderson said...

Allie, thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your thoughts. Ericka and I absolutely love the Church, but we have always struggled with how judgmental members can be towards people with differences. Whether it be in the color of their skin, sexual preferences, faith, nationality, immigration, political beliefs, etc. You are exactly right, if the person happened to be our own child we wouldn't treat them as a lesser person because our love for them wouldn’t allow it. I guess that is why love was one of Christ’s most emphasized teachings. Thanks again.

Lacy said...

This is a big issue in California right now, not only with Harvey Milk Day, but more so with Proposition 8.

As for Harvey Milk Day, I can't really say that I support it. I completely agree that we should never ever judge those that choose a homosexual lifestyle. While I do not agree with a gay lifestyle, I would never be intolerant of someone who was. Out here in the bay area, we are surrounded by alternative lifestyles. I have worked with some of the nicest people who are gay. Just as others accept me for my religious beliefs, I have no problem accepting them for their sexual beliefs. But I also prefer that I have the opportunity to teach that same tolerance to my children, rather than rely on the school systems to do so. If this does pass, it won't necessarily be a bad thing. However, given the strong political and social opinions of those who live out here, I would hate to think of my child's teacher taking advantage of such a day to promote homosexuality and teach my child that it is the exact same thing as a heterosexual relationship, because I just firmly don't believe it is.

I completely agree with Allie's remarks. But I also feel that somewhere we need to draw the line. While this bill isn't necessarily harmful, I still see it as another stepping stone to placing traditional marriage on the back burner...in a non-discreet way.

I enjoyed this post. I would love to hear more of your opinions.

-Lacy

Carl Anderson said...

Lacy, thanks for your comments. Like you, I believe that tolerance of homosexuals is too closely related to tolerance of homosexuality for it to be properly accomplished in the public school system. I believe it would be best for parents to walk that fine line inside the home.

Derek said...

Carl, I work with your newest sister-in-law, Heidi.

'Tis a small world.

Sorry to post on this topic, I don't really much to add. It will be interesting to see how "this" all plays out.

Anyhow, Heidi is a hoot.